Home>For Adults>Residential Services
Home is a place you’re comfortable and at ease. It’s a warm and inviting living space that reflects your style and tastes. It’s where you enjoy and renew yourself. It’s a place you shape your dreams.
If you’re exploring residential options, we understand you’re making an important life decision. At Looking Upwards, we bring our more than 30 years of experience to helping people with developmental disabilities to create a comfortable home life and greater satisfaction in all areas of life.
Our Residential Services offer you the opportunity to live in a house with housemates with ongoing support from our caring and competent staff. We’ll listen to your desires for all areas of your life. We’ll walk alongside, offering our support as you live the life you choose.
What you can count on:
- As you and your family share what’s important to you, we will listen.
- We’ll support you to achieve your life goals.
- Our competent staff is well-trained and skillful in supporting you in all areas of your life.
- Your personal safety is of the utmost importance and will be a focus throughout all we do together.
- We will assist you to create your social network and stay connected to the people who are important to you.
- We will encourage you to expand into new areas of growth.
- We will honor your right to make choices and safeguard your right to take reasonable risks as you shape your life.
We all need other people. We need people we enjoy, people who challenge us to be our best and people who believe in us. At Looking Upwards, we understand the importance of assisting you to create a personal network. It may take shape through meeting your neighbors, taking an active role in your community or making connections that may lead to new friendships.
We’ll assist you to learn the skills that bring you the rewards of mutual relationships. The goal is that over time, you develop a caring network of people in the community who are part of your life and support you in your life vision.
To sustain your health and wellbeing we offer an array of therapeutic resources. We provide the clinical and therapeutic resources that help you maintain your optimal independence, health and wellness. We offer nursing, physical, occupational and speech therapy, as well as resources for your emotional wellbeing. Also available is support for developing healthy habits, such as nutritious eating, regular exercise, stress reduction and relaxation.
What to expect:
- At the outset of services, we’ll listen carefully to what you want for your life.
- Together we’ll develop a personalized plan, which is called a support agreement.
- Your support team will include a nurse, psychologist, service coordinator, house director and direct support professionals. Your team may also include physical, occupational and speech therapists as needed.
- Your service coordinator will help map out a transition plan with you and your family. You will have the opportunity to meet your prospective housemates and get comfortable in your new home.
- Your new staff will create a partnership with you and your family, walking together towards your goals.
- In your daily life, your staff will provide caring and competent support.
- Annually, your personal network - your family, friends, social worker, and team - will come together to celebrate your accomplishments and to support you to create your vision for the coming year.
- You must be approved for 24-hour support through the State of Rhode Island, Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD).
- Program administrator, Peggy McGee at 401-847-0960 ext. 20 or email Peggy